I hope you’re growing as we discuss Distinguishing Habits of a Believer. So far we talked about tithing, biblical knowledge, forgiveness, prayer, worldview, counted the cost. Lets look at one more habit.
7. A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is Repentance. I saw a sign that said, “ A true Christian desires to be free from sin, not to sin freely.” We must turn away from our sinful behavior and turn back to our loving God.
Let’s clarify one other thing. Don’t think you can just keep on sinning and there aren’t any consequences. For instance, you slept with someone other than your spouse. He doesn’t know and you’re not telling.
- Your pregnancy or STD might be a result.
- Your separation from him might be a result.
- The loss of respect from your children might be a result.
- His lack of trust in you might be a result.
I get it. You’re saying, “I won’t tell him.” God still knows!
Okay, you didn’t sleep with him or her but you thought about it. What did Jesus say, (Matt 5:28) “I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” Ladies, the same thing applies to you. If you look at a man or woman with lust…
We must turn from the sin and turn towards God. A momentary pleasure isn’t worth it.
Let your brothers and sisters help you. Do be like the guy dressed in a suit and was drowning. He didn’t want to look bad so he simply raised his hand hoping someone would save him. He drowned because of his unwillingness to shout out for help. If you’re struggling with a sin, shout it out. Yell out and let us rally around you. We’re one body! Ps 56:3. Most importantly, share your burden with God. He’ll never leave you nor forsake you.
As we close out this series we need to remember a few things. You are the key to Christianity in your circle of influence. Many people will see how Christianity by your actions. They’ll understand Christianity by the way you approach and deal with contemporary issues of the day.
You can’t be a Secret Agent Christian. You have to pick a side. If you’re a part-time Christian then you’re a full-time poser. You’re one or the other.
What did Jesus tell the devil? “It is written, ‘you shall not put The Lord your God to the test.” In other words, “Don’t push it.” God is forgiving but He isn’t forgetful. Don’t be hardheaded like the children of Israel. If we are disciples or followers of Christ then we must act like Him.
Now that you know this information you are now responsible for executing it. You can’t say you didn’t know. You do know. There’s a great chance that you will make some mistakes. The good news is that your Lord and Savior, the God of this universe is loving and forgiving.
Look at yourself. Are you exhibiting any or all of these 7 habits?
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is Tithing
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is biblical knowledge.
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is forgiveness.
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is Prayer.
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is a Christ Worldview.
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is that they know there is a cost involved in being a believer.
- A Distinguishing Habit of a Believer is Repentance.
f not, now is the time to start. Change your life, change your legacy! Read, study and do His word! Are you like me? Do you understand that now that we’re Christians we are conquerors? We are in a fight against evil in our lives and the world.